LCCA End of Life
This webinar will focus on the best methods of addressing pavement end of life issues when conducting a LCCA, ranging from making certain that the remaining service life of a pavement is properly addressed, to understanding the importance of considering what actually happens to a pavement when it reaches its terminal serviceability, and how that needs to be included in an LCCA.
- Learn the difference between residual value of a pavement versus its remaining service life value
- Understand how to determine the remaining service life value of a pavement and the importance of applying that concept to all pavement layers
- Understand the importance of assuring that the LCCA analysis period be long enough to make sure that one of the pavement alternatives reaches its terminal serviceability, and that the cost of the remediation be accounted for as a future cost during the analysis A Life Cycle Cost Analysis (LCCA) is a technique used by many state highway agencies to evaluate the overall expected costs of competing pavement alternatives, primarily between asphalt and concrete design. LCCAs consider initial construction costs, along with future anticipated costs such as maintenance and rehabilitation costs, as well as user costs. But what happens at the end of a pavement’s life, and how should that be properly accounted for in an LCCA?
This webinar is RCEP approved.
Recycled Asphalt Pavement (RAP) Part 2: Mix Design and Laboratory Performance Testing
Speaker: Scott Quire, Technical Director, Bluegrass Testing Laboratory, Inc.
Date: October 7, 2020 3:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Description: Asphalt mixtures containing RAP, when designed utilizing proper design principles and produced in consideration of production constraints have demonstrated excellent performance. This part of the webinar will focus on mix designs utilizing RAP, the level of mix design analysis needed as RAP percentages increase, the production variables to consider as RAP percentages increase and performance testing of asphalt mixes containing RAP.
In this webinar, attendees will:
- Review of design considerations as RAP percentages increase
- Learn about the approach to mix design methodology for RAP mixtures
- Performance testing of asphalt mixtures with RAP
- The plant considerations for asphalt mix production at various levels of RAP utilization
This webinar is RCEP approved.Register Now
Asphalt Performance Tests: Specimen Fabrication Practices
Speaker: Dr. Jo E. Sias, Professor of Civil Engineering, University of New Hampshire
Date: October 14, 2020 2:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Description: The use of mixture performance tests is becoming more widespread for mixture design and QC/QA processes. There are guidelines for conducting these tests, but they do not all provide uniform or comprehensive direction for fabricating test specimens. This webinar will provide participants with an understanding of variables in specimen fabrication that could impact performance test results, procedures and practices that have been developed for improved consistency in fabricating performance test specimens, and common challenges and knowledge gaps.
This webinar draws on research from the National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Synthesis Report 552: Practices for Fabricating Asphalt Specimens for Performance Testing in Laboratories.
- Identify variables in fabrication processes of asphalt performance test specimens
- Learn potential impacts on performance test results and practices for consistent specimen fabrication
- Understand knowledge gaps and future research needs in improving specimen fabrication practices for asphalt lab performance tests
NAPA Member Briefing
Date: October 15, 2020 11:30 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
NAPA OCTOBER MEMBER BRIEFING
How will the next 30 days impact your business? As a member of the National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA), you get exclusive access to our monthly member webinars to keep your fingers on the pulse of the political, economic and industry climate impacting your business.
Over the course of 60 minutes we will give you everything we know and potential impacts and ramifications. Attend alone or invite your entire team to attend our Zoom call on Thursday, October 15 at 11:30 EDT.
Reminder, this is for NAPA Members only.
Not a NAPA Member? Click here to join.
MEMBERS ONLY.Register Now
Impact of Pavements on Urban Heat Island: A Critical Review and Gap Analysis
- Current building codes and green rating systems lag research advances and need to be updated
- The status quo implementation of UHI mitigation strategies is largely inadequate in many cities
- Comprehensive approach including life cycle analysis are needed for developing innovative pavement design strategies to mitigate the UHI effect
Methods for Addressing Tack Tracking
Speaker: Jim Musselman, Senior Engineer, National Center for Asphalt Technology (NCAT)
Date: October 22, 2020 2:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Description: Tack coats are used to bond pavement layers together, and if the proper materials are used, handled and applied correctly, they will provide an excellent bond between layers, which will lead to good long-term performance of the pavement.
Tracking of tack coat materials occurs when the tack material sticks to the tires of construction vehicles that drive over the tacked surface. This can be a major problem from a performance, safety and aesthetics perspective and continually needs to be addressed. Understanding the causes of tracking is key to identifying the potential solutions.
This webinar will focus on the primary causes of tracking and steps that can be taken on paving projects to minimize or prevent tracking from occurring.
· Information on the basics of asphalt emulsions, including: the basics of asphalt emulsions; the different types of conventional emulsions currently in use today; and the importance of breaking and curing of emulsions
· Information on reduced-tracking tack coat materials, as well as the use of straight asphalt binders and hot-applied reduced-tracking tack coat materials.
· An understanding of the basic causes of tracking and the best methods of addressing these problems.
This webinar is NAPA Members and SAPA staff only.
Non-NAPA members should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how to join NAPA.
This webinar is RCEP approved.Register now
Recycled Asphalt Pavement (RAP) Part 3: Field Performance and the User Experience
- Documented field performance of asphalt mixtures containing RAP
- What applications are best suited for higher RAP content
- The impact specification requirements have on usage and performance of RAP
- Agency perspectives on the benefits and concerns with using RAP
Asphalt 101 for Civil and Geotechnical Engineers: Asphalt Production and Construction
- How asphalt is produced
- How asphalt is laid
- Ways to improve the end product through design considerations
Accelerated Asphalt Road Construction for Engineers and Owners
- Contractors’ strategies for accelerating asphalt road construction.
- The importance of accelerated asphalt road construction for the future of the U.S. infrastructure.
- How agencies and contractors have worked together to get the most out of time spent in work zones.