Want to become a member?  

Elected October 1991

Bruce G. Marshall

1908-1977

 

A Mississippi native and a graduate of Mississippi State University at Starkville with a B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering, Mr. Marshall was employed by the Mississippi Department of Highways in their central laboratory in Jackson, MS from the early 1930s until 1943. During this period he developed the Marshall stability test and an initial version of the Marshall procedures for designing asphalt paving mixtures.

 

In 1943 he was employed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at the Waterways Experiment Station at Vicksburg, MS to assist in the selection of procedures for designing asphalt paving mixtures for military airfields and roads. Mr. Marshall participated in the test program which resulted in the adoption by the Corps of Engineers of the Marshall procedures for designing asphalt paving mixtures for airfields and roads and in a test program to modify his initial procedures to accomodate heavy airplane wheel loads.

 

In 1944, Mr. Marshall returned to Jackson, MS and established the Marshall Consulting and Testing Laboratory which manufactured and marketed equipment for making the Marshall stability test and the other tests required for the Marshall mix design procedures, in addition to providing testing and consulting services both nationally and internationally.

 

The procedures for preparing specimens and for conducting the Marshall stability test were standardized in 1958 by the American Society for Testing and Matierals (ASTM) as D 1559 and Marshall asphalt mix design procedures are currently being taught in engineering schools throughout the United states. The Marshall procedures are used to design asphalt mixes by most of the state Departments of Transportation, the Fereral Aviation Administration, Armed Services, and several other countries.

 

Mr. Marshall was a member of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists from 1944 until 1969.