Want to become a member?  

Market Facts

The Asphalt Pavement Market

Asphalt mixtures are used to pave roads, streets, highways, parking lots, airports, biking and walking trails, and other paved surfaces in the Nation’s transportation networks. Roughly 3,500 asphalt mix production sites operate across the United States, producing more than 350 million tons of asphalt pavement material per year. Most of these production facilities are small, family-owned businesses that employ the many workers who build America's network of highways and roads.



    • There are more than 4.1 million miles of public roads in the U.S. According to the Federal Highway Administration, more than 1.3 million miles are unpaved. Nearly 1.9 million miles are paved local roads for which FHWA does not track pavement type. Of the remaining 955,000 miles of paved roads, about 810,000 miles are asphalt, 56,000 miles are concrete.1 The remaining 89,000 miles are composite pavements; most composite pavements are older concrete pavements that have been resurfaced with asphalt for maintenance reasons, to extend their life or to address safety and noise issues.
    • There is approximately 18 billion tons of asphalt pavement in American roads, all of which could be mined as part of regular maintenance and repair activities for reuse in future asphalt pavements. Currently, the asphalt pavement industry reclaims more than 99 percent of asphalt pavement removed from projects for reuse in future projects.2



    • Between 85 and 90 percent of all runways at the nation's 3,330 FAA National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS) airports are surfaced with asphalt pavement.
    • Approximately $4 billion per year from Airport Improvement Program grants and passenger facility charges is spent on airfield runways, taxiways, and aprons.


Parking Areas

    • More than 90 percent of surface parking areas in the U.S. are surfaced with asphalt pavement, the material of choice for most development owners.
    • Porous asphalt pavements are increasingly used as a low-impact development stormwater management tool to handle runoff more cost-effectively than traditional stormwater infrastructure.



    • 65 percent of the asphalt pavement market is publicly funded highway projects, with residential and non-residential construction making up the remaining 35 percent.
    • Capital spending on highways, roads, and bridges by all levels of government (federal/state/local) totals about $80 billion annually, about half of which comes from federal funding.


Economic Impact

    • For each $1 billion of federal spending invested in highway construction nationwide, nearly 28,000 jobs are supported,3 including approximately 9,500 in the construction sector, approximately 4,300 jobs in industries supporting the construction sector, and approximately 14,000 additional jobs in non-construction-related sectors of the economy.
    • Every $1 billion spent on transportation infrastructure, assuming a normal mix of highways, transit, and airports, translates to 4 million to 5 million tons of asphalt pavement.
    • Without regular maintenance and investment in the nation's transportation network, the economic activity it is capable of supporting will decline.4



1 FHWA does not track pavement type for 1.89 million miles of local roads.
Office of Highway Policy Information. "Table HM-12" in Highway Statistics 2018. Federal Highway Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C., 2019.
2 Williams, B.A., J.R. Willis, and T.C. Ross. Annual Asphalt Pavement Industry Survey on Recycled Materials and Warm-Mix Usage: 2018 (IS 138-9e). National Asphalt Pavement Association, Greenbelt, Md., 2019.
3 Federal Highway Administration. "Employment Impacts of Highway Infrastructure Investment." U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C., 2012. Retrieved from http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/otps/pubs/impacts/index.htm
4 Shatz, H.J., K.E. Kitchens, S. Rosenbloom, and M. Wachs. Highway Infrastructure and the Economy: Implications for Federal Policy. The RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif., 2011.



Go back to "About Asphalt."