Want to become a member?  

Elected May 1990

William Harrison "Harry" Vanderlinden, Jr. 

1917-1990

 

A native of Hendersonville, NC, Mr. Vanderlinden graduated from Lenoir-Rhyne College in 1937. Following graduation, he joined the Hickory, NC public works department, where he was employed until August of 1941, when he enlisted as a private in the U.S. Army. A much-decorated combat veteran, he received the Purple Heart with Cluster, Bronze Star Medal, Combat Infantry Award, NC Distinguished Services Medal, and the Legion of Merit. He left active duty in Decmeber of 1945 with the rank of Captain and later served as commanding general of the 30th Infantry Division, North Carolina National Guard.

 

In 1946, he joined the Setzer Construction Company and served as President and Secretary after it was re-organized as Midstate Contractors. He retired from Midstate in 1983. He also organized Asphalt Paving Company in 1953 and served as President and Treasurer until his retirement from the firm in 1984.

 

Mr. Vanderlinden served as the seventh President (1965-66) of the National Bituminous Concrete Association (NBCA), now known as the National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA) after serving as Vice President (1964-65). during his term as President, the Association adopted a model ordinance covering air and water pollution control, the first Industry group to do so. Throughout his career in NAPA activities, he served on many committees and task forces, including Chairman of several. He was also a member of the Association's Board of Directors for over 24 years. In 1986, in recognition of his valuable contributions to the Association and the Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) Industry, he was elected a Life Member of NAPA.

 

He also served as President of the Carolina Asphalt Pavement Association, the Carolinas Branch of the Associated General Contractors of America, and the Better Transportation for North Carolina. He received many honors and awards from these and other organizations for his achievements and contributions.

 

He was elected to the North Carolina House of Representatives (1947-49) and was a former Chairman of the Catawba County Democratic Party. He was also active in the Hickory Rotary Club, Hickory Chamber of Commerce, Lenoir- Rhyne College Development Board, Catawba County Historical Association, and Catawba County Chamber of Commerce.