Want to become a member?  

Elected January 1987

William B. Greene

1996-1982

 

A Mechanical Engineering graduate of the University of Illinois, Mr. Greene joined the Stephens-Adamson Mfg. Co. of Aurora, Illinois as Advertising Manager.

 

In 1916, Mr. Greene and Mr. Harry H. Barber co-founded the Barber-Greene Company and began to develop a line of standardized material handling machines, including a portable belt conveyor, a self-feeding bucket loader, and a vertical boom ditcher. In 1930, the company produced the first experimental asphalt traveling mixing plant and finishing machine which was first used on a paving project near Rolla, Missouri. During the depression on the 1930's the company continued development of asphalt paving and materials processing equipment, resulting in a complete line of entirely new machines and methods of construction for the U.S. Corps of Engineers around the world.

 

Mr. Greene served as Vice President of Barber-Greene Company from 1916 until 1945, when he was named President. In 1954, he was named Chairman of the Board and served in that capacity until his retirement in 1966.

 

He had served as President and Director of the Construction Industry Manufacturers Association, as a Director of the International Road Federation, and was active in many other construction industry organizations. He received the University of Illinois Alumni Achievement Award in 1963, Distinguished Graduate Citation from the University's Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Alumni Association in 1968, and the College of Engineering Illinois Medal in 1969. He was named to the Asphalt Institute Roll of Honor in 1966. Mr. Greene was also active in civic affairs, including the Illinois State Chamber of Commerce, Aurora Kiwanis Club, Aurora Chamber of Commerce, and others.